|You can almost feel his disappointment for this pun. I choose to believe he's disappointed in the Yuuzhan Vong series.|
|Prepare for several paragraphs of conjecture, as I don't often play them!|
- It costs 2 more points. Which is technically bad, but it's worth it for everything else it does.
- It loses Escort, which is both good and bad. It's not going to be taking shots for your other squadrons, but it doesn't necessarily want to be doing that.
- It gains a speed, bringing it to speed 4. This is good, and it can get to speed 5 under All Fighters Follow Me! or better than speed 5 with a Fighter Coordination Team move from somewhere (see Eric's fancy MSPaint diagram in the Phantoms article about how 4+1>5)
- It keeps the X-wing red bomber dice and 4 blue anti-squadron attack at distance 1, and....
- It gains Snipe 3. And THIS is why it's worth 2 more points than an X-wing.
|I only go on Assault Frigates. LMC80s need Gunnery Team, MC30s have squadron 1.|
Thanks to the latest FAQ, we now know how it all interacts with everything. See the below diagram for a full explanation.
Our slightly damaged friend with 4 health is not so lucky. He ALSO has the Interceptor in Snipe range (he does, trust me), but he's engaged with the Escort TIE Advanced squadron. He HAS to attack AN Escort squadron before he can try to hit the Interceptor in any way. He can amusingly enough attack Darth Vader with Snipe, because Vader also has Escort, even though Vader is at distance 2. So you can snipe and kill Darth Vader before he ever gets to move in and shoot you. Everyone get that?
So why do you want to Snipe? Several reasons, but it breaks down to:
- Ignore counter
- Shoot Intel squadrons before they can make you heavy and let the Bombers move away (and especially if you aren't engaged with Escorts)
- Shoot other important squadrons that your opponent's strategy hinges on being alive (Luke, Jan Ors, Rhymer, Shara Bey, Norra Wexley, Howlrunner....)
- Shoot squadrons that can't shoot you back, giving you way more options.
They do great work with Hera, jumping all over with Rogue and killing what needs to be killed. Bring along some Escort friends for her, though, and probably them too. They seem like they'd be great with X-wings (or potentially A-wings) jumping in afterwards. Let the E-wings soften up a target with Snipe, and then have the X-wings leapfrog in and finish off your opponent's damaged squadron. Move out what you have to after that, in order to get stuff more dead. Bringing Jan Ors for yourself isn't a foolish idea, either, what with the X-wing health the E-wings have. Everyone loves free brace tokens.
I've used them occasionally, but I expect to use them MORE as I start seeing crazy amounts of Imperial squadrons coming in from Sloan and the Quasar (DJ Rhymer and his funky fresh beats need to get shot more than Tupac did). Expect updates on this section with more experience, but if anyone has any ACTUAL experience with them (I've heard of people using them with Scurrgs, using the snipe to free up the Scurrgs to Grit their way towards bombing a ship) I am more than willing to listen and to try out suggestions with them.
|I have not played X-wing. I have no intention of playing, I just like a bigger scale. Let THAT influence the following rant.|
So Corran in his......E-wing..... (it's fine, it's fine, you can paint it Cor-Sec green and black and pretend it's an X-wing)...... is really just an upgraded E-wing. He gets Rogue, Snipe 4, and 2 brace tokens. Other than that, it's the same as a regular E-wing. Snipe 4 is better than Snipe 3, and he has a much better chance of one-shotting a TIE or Interceptor with it (and especially with Toryn's help!). You've also got a better chance of rolling an accuracy against scatter aces than with Snipe 3 (rolling 4 dice has a better chance of seeing an accuracy than rolling 3 dice, crazy how math works like that!), but you're using him for Snipe. Hit the targets that need to be hit, before they can shoot you back. There's also about a 3% possibility that you can get the one accuracy you need and 3 damage, making TIE aces quite sad with him near (they can brace the 3 damage down to 2, leaving them with 1 HP left). Snipe away!
Corran (I think?) wants other snipe friends to help him hit squadrons that need to stay down, but I can see running him alone as part of a MFC. You want to be using him to wipe out enemy squadrons as much as possible, especially with his sniping ability. And with Rogue and Snipe 4, you're able to shoot a LOT of squadrons. Especially the ones trying to run away. They just die tired!
|It looks like a slightly less stubby Viper from Battlestar Galactica!|