|Thrawn performing "It's Gonna Be Me" back in his boy band days|
Thursday, December 31, 2020
|It looks cool, anyways.|
Wednesday, December 30, 2020
Fleet building 201 articles update for today.
- Basic fleet building 201 article.
- Very minor upkeep.
- Big Heavy fleet building 201
- Removed references to the Banned Trinity of officers.
- Lots of new hyperlinks and generally trimming things down.
- Heavy Squadron fleet building 201
- Minimal editing
- MSU fleet building 201
- Removed the Banned Trinity reference.
- Included discussion of your opponent using pass tokens.
- MSU's death due to pass tokens has been greatly exaggerated, is the short version.
- Generally streamlined a bit, as I tend to over-discuss MSU.
As always, a quick warning that I'll be making a lot of generalizations in order to communicate points - once you've gotten a lot of experience with a particular archetype, you'll be able to identify circumstances in which some of the generalizations can be bent or broken with the right tactics or fleet-building.
|This is the start of an MSU fleet leaning hard on Intensify Firepower, right here.|
|Just the first deployed ace squadron of many, courtesy of Admiral Sloane.|
|Vader knows where it's at.|
As mentioned in the header article, Big Heavy is looking to stress the inherent strengths of heavier combat ships (medium and large ships focusing on direct confrontation). Heavy combat ships have high-value activations that can get a lot done. For the amount of space they take up on the table, they can throw an awful lot of dice, and for the most part they can take a lot of punishment, especially if the enemy is unable to gang up on them to overheat their defense tokens. Heavy ships that are only taking one or two attacks each round are in most cases effectively immortal, especially with the right defensive tech; conversely, light combat ships taking one or two attacks each round are going to be destroyed if they can't get out of trouble and soon. A Big Heavy fleet is looking to quickly destroy heavy-hitting opposition that threatens its heavy ships and then hopes to spend the rest of the game casually gobbling up the less-threatening survivors.
Tuesday, December 29, 2020
Article updates for today
- Minor updates - Avenger isn't a thing anymore and you can't double-ram with Engine Techs.
- Anti-conga lines
- Extremely minor upkeep. Article was still in good shape.
- Added new section from the RRG about applying overlap damage before completing the maneuver.
- Removed sections referring to old Intel and Engine Techs.
- Consistently referred to fleet archetype as "MSU" instead of "swarm" as it's more consistent with the lingo most of us use and doesn't cause confusion with the Swarm keyword.
- It still gets a little confusing when an MSU fleet includes a cheaper medium based ship as then it's no longer all small units but whatever.
- Discussion of pass tokens in 1.5.
- Otherwise shortened, edited, hyperlinks, the usual. I write a lot about MSU because it's something I'm very experienced with, but it can get to be a bit much.
|Cue the Aquabats' Shark Fighter, please!|
|Oh man, 137 is really getting taken to Pound Town.|
Anyways, let's discuss the nefarious conga line!
|I said nefarious, come on guys! That's just adorable.|
|Look at this big bald doof holding this weird thing with a blue hat.|
Monday, December 28, 2020
First note: there wasn't really much to update when it came to personal advice style articles (like the articles on tilting/improving) and the articles on FFG tournaments. Neither have changed any (the advice or the tournament formats, plus who knows what AMG tournaments are going to look like once we get out of the Plague Times), so I just left them be.
Here's today's achievements as I get through wave 6:
- Quasar Fire
- Removed Brunson as a recommendation as she's too pricey now.
- Removed references to Intel.
- What was Pryce doing in this article? I CAST YOU OUT, FOUL SPIRIT!
- Editing/hyperlinks/the usual.
- Commands rules article
- Updated page number references.
- If the RRG gets updated frequently, keeping the page numbers right is going to be a nightmare.
- Added new reminder based on new RRG text that effects that provide dials (like Thrawn) allow you to tokenize them upon receiving them.
- Boarding teams
- Cleared out the remaining Rebel unique boarding teams as John already ported those over to the Rebel specific upgrades.
- Otherwise, some minor upkeep.
- Admiral Sloane
- Removed Avenger references.
- Cleaned up and shortened the article a bit. Sloane is still good but has the same balancing act as before of trying to get enough carrier capacity, squadrons, and actual combat ships to make her shtick all come together. She can competently run Interceptors and Fighters better than any other Imperial commander but if you're not careful you can get an even larger burden on your carriers.
|Thanks for the sweet later-in-the-EU art, wookieepedia!|
|Pictured: Vader in the middle of discarding the Raymus Antilles upgrade card.|
|The cut will be done in moments, you may commence your article.|
|One day you too can be an artist who gets to draw something this cosmically awesome.|
Saturday, December 26, 2020
Boxing Day updates to the Imperial officers article!
- Admiral Chiraneau got much better now that Intel got nerfed and his section was completely redone.
- Captain Brunson mostly rewritten because oof 9 points.
- Director Krennic improved a bit because he works well with Gunnery Team now.
- 1.0 Avenger and Yavaris and Intel references removed or updated.
- GOVERNOR PRYCE DELETED.
- If I could bottle this feeling and sell it I'd be rich.
- Seriously, the worst card in the game, get lost.
- Instructor Goran is better now that Intel has been nerfed but he's still a reactive squad-based 7 point officer. Doesn't mean he's complete garbage but be careful with him.
- Otherwise editing, hyperlinks, the usual.
Thursday, December 24, 2020
A few quick updates...
- Wave 5/Corellian Conflict objectives articles
- Blockade Run writeup shortened. Don't take this unless you want to fight in a bowling alley (the kind of ships that thematically run blockades sure don't).
- Otherwise editing and clarifying.
- Basic maintenance, editing, etc.
- Fixed a typo!
- Removed mention of Avenger interaction with Planetary Ion Cannon because Avenger is terrible now.
- Offensive retrofits
- ATN no longer counters Intel.
- Hardened Bulkheads no longer combine with Engine Techs for easy double rams on small ships.
- Otherwise cleaned up this and that, added some hyperlinks, shortened a few things just a smidge.
|Oh boy, here I go objective-article writing again!|
Wednesday, December 23, 2020
Fighting whales article updated - added in the obvious "bring your own whale" if you want to; separated the "what about SSDs and Starhawks" part into the end.
Admiral Raddus entrance music was procedural. I also didnt click on the links, so, let's hope youtube hasn't taken those down!
Building your community - procedural, nothing major. I still miss community and our Armada community; stupid COVID.
Toryn Farr - procedural, mainly just added links to everything. none of the math changed, haha
hammerheads - added in a paragraph that they're good against squadron damage/alphas, and a bit more about discarding your defense tokens to kill your opponent if you need to.
And i'm through 2017! Ugh, my new years resolution is to not need to update these articles again for a while.
|You mean me?|
|And now I get Pickle Rick t-shirts from edgelord teenagers, but I'm NOT BITTER!|
|Better music than Mariano. Come at me, Yankees Bros!|
|Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee!|
Tuesday, December 22, 2020
i've updated the support teams...ish. Engine Techs's description is updated, but I need to get the new picture in there when i'm not using my fiancee's computer (i'm not learning the Mac version of paint if I can just wait a week and do it next monday). I also should get my laptop fixed, but that's work for this upcoming post-christmas week. Anyways, i'll have that picture updated before the new year. Anyone using that in a tournament in the next 8 days who doesn't remember that, uhhh, good luck? FCT updated to get my points across clearer (and organize the yav part of it). Medical Team and Projection Experts updated to include some fun CIS interactions.
Defensive Retrofits, ECM, the same deal. Again, it's a whole Mac thing to which i'm either getting a new laptop or mine fixed next week. Text is fine though. Mostly procedural, though I did try to justify Redundant Shields some more (though you still probably shouldn't use it, guys).
generic officers - clarity, some elimination of redundancy. Strat Ad is banned, to which I have a picture with the word "Banned" stamped across it....at home, haha.
Rebel officers - bail is banned and I point you to his commander card. art update next week. more minor edits, basically. I also updated walex to say "use with agate and starhawk!" which, uh, yup.
Leia commander - updated mainly for clarity, pics next week. And the ending gif too.
fleet commands - a bit of discussion about WHICH command to choose and how, some minor updates. I don't think Shields to Maximum is bad, but it's really the least interesting of them all. However, maybe some weird Wat Tambor fleet?
Hi, John! I'm the call and response questionnaire that will let you address the audience! Why are you so disgruntled?
I WAS having a pleasant Friday. Work is going well, I got to see the reveal of the new Wave 7 Commanders and new ISDs for my Imp friends, I see we Rebels have a ship of some type coming out (seriously FFG, where's my news? And can you give me the secret list that will let me win Worlds and get to design a Commander card like JJ did to get Thrawn? I'm not sure WHAT the Rebel leader I have will get, but it'll be great, for realsies)
I was reading the forums on a break and then I saw it, several times.
"Thrawn is clearly better than Leia."
"Leia is overcosted and not good."
"Leia's a bad Commander."
|Oh, it is ON, NOW!|
|Ahsoka Tano, Lando Calrissian, Wicket the Ewok, Mace Windu, and Chewbacca|
Monday, December 21, 2020
Updated Madine. Like 2 sentences about him, he still hasn't changed since the Raddus nerf. The Evade change helps him alright, but he's still kinda outclassed by Raddus. I wish he was better or even had a points reduction, but we get what we get.
Pelta - a bit more about how it's a good ship, as much as us and Steel Strategy keep proselytizing to you all. some more on how to run it, but the builds are still similar.
Sato - procedural, no major changes since he only changed points. Oh, i was a lot more hesitant on recommending you use Malee, because, well, (gestures at Malee).
i'm traveling the rest of the day, but should be able to hit more of these tonight (maybe) and the rest of this week.
Sunday, December 20, 2020
Newest batch: I've reached wave 5!
- Minor editing.
- Added a salvo build with Reactive Gunnery.
- Updated Baby's First Flagship with Reeva and Advanced Projectors.
- Moff Jerjerrod.
- Minor edits.
- Minor edits.
- TIE Defender.
- Moderate edits. Some upkeep for 1.5 changes and mentioning that they've improved overall due to the ace restrictions.
- Minor edits.
- TIE Phantom
- More minor edits. The wave 5 squads were already in a good place.
- Weapon teams
- Major overhaul on Gunnery Team.
- NO YOU CAN'T USE ADVANCED GUNNERY WITH 1.5 GUNNERY TEAM, STOP TRYING PLEASE.
- Moderate overhaul on Ordnance Experts.
- Removed some of the discussion on which dice to reroll and how aggressively to reroll as that was an artifact of when Ordnance Experts worked on potentially every black dice in your pool. I still discuss when to reroll single hits if you don't have 2 blanks, but there isn't a need for as much math to prove my point.
|"So... we're just kind of hoping they'll fly right in front of our window and otherwise we do nothing?"|
"Man, these Imperial union jobs are great!"
|We've made all kinds of improvements, like changing the billiards ball to a soda can!|
|The segue was as bad as this picture is sweet!|
|Okay so hear me out, what if TIE Fighters had an extra wing and also its wings were each two triangles and those triangles had lasers?|
|Cute and cuddly, sure, but kitten claws will cleave through solid steel!|
Saturday, December 19, 2020
|His frustration echoes mine when I often try to play him!|
|The most divisive ship in the Rebellion!|
|It was 1983! Everyone's hair looked like that!|
GR75s - mainly procedural, I emphasize a bit more "stop just starting with 2 GRs," and I still refer you to Eric's article (thanks for all that work!) on the basics of flotillas.
Cracken - procedural, mainly, some updated discussion about how he differs from Mothma and how speed 3 can result in predictability.
Turbos - HTT rewrite, it's takeable now! QTCs really shouldnt be! Fancy pictures for the updated cards!
Lib - removed some of the engine tech interactions and had to change up a few of the builds. Bail is dead, long live Agate.
|The ANGRIEST lawn dart|
Friday, December 18, 2020
|Notice the lack of Green lasers here. Clearly Imperial ships shouldn't be shooting at all! It's in the graphic!|
Updates for today. So much stuff to do!
- How to use black dice article.
- Minor updates, some editing, added some hyperlinks.
- Ion cannons
- High Capacity Ion Turbines got even worse because it competes for Modification slots with its 1.0 buddy H9 Turbolasers.
- Even then, it was a fairly niche build mostly seen on ISD-Is.
- Ion Cannon Batteries got better with 1.5 focusing more on command tokens and command-triggered upgrades.
- New Leading Shots at 6 points.
- MS-1s got a little better but not much.
- NK-7s are still terrible.
- Overload Pulse Avenger interaction discussion removed. Thankfully.
- Between Brunson getting pricier and ECMs needing repair tokens to ready, I honestly feel like it's a matter of meta and preference now between Brunson and Tua/ECM. Both options are 9 points. The Interdictor title readying ECMs for free is a nice touch, so I lean Tua nowadays.
- Combat Interdictor is still the worst ship in the game. Yay!
- New Konstantine, new article. Substantial overhaul here.
- I'm still not sure Konstantine is actually worth using but he's much less bad than he was in 1.0.
- Armada peripherals
- Minor editing.
|I'm pretty sure at least one of these launches Nerf balls.|
|In the grim darkness of the alternative future there are only children killing each other for entertainment and a socio-economic system that doesn't really make much sense when you sit down and think about it!|
Thursday, December 17, 2020
|I was actually in the movie and this is the joke you open with? Ugh, I'm disappointed.|
|Hooray, John finally got to Wave 3!|
- Fleet support
- A little editing and mostly bringing Slicer Tools up to date.
- It's still a good card but you need to be a lot more careful with how you use it.
- The Minister Tua Electronic Countermeasures Slicer Tools Suppressor Gozanti build was cute, although not necessarily that great. Now that both of the big upgrades eat repair tokens to ready, it's not really viable anymore.
- Possible substitutes exist but you're in much greater danger of "oops, that's my scatter" followed by the sound of comms static and a distant explosion.
- Minor upkeep.
- Attack sequence
- Added the new reminder bullet point from the RRG that you can attack engaged squadrons. Otherwise, nothing needed to be changed.
- General Tagge
- New version up.
- Fairly major overhaul of the discussion portion given there's more considerations for him right now what with the round choosing element.
- He still kinda sucks, but I think there's something there for someone determined to get him to work.
- That non-consecutive round requirement is the main culprit here and was totally unnecessary.
- Fleet building 101 basics of fleet building
- Minor editing, added some hyperlinks.
John and I have been dancing around the topic of fleet building for a little while and I figured now that I'm caught up to wave 3 of the Imperial releases it's time to at least get the basic parameters established for fleet building. I'll do my best to explore the considerations that go into it at higher levels but this is not an exhaustive guide. Everyone makes fleets differently and so if you're successful and your process doesn't follow my recommendations exactly, then good for you. Anyways, let's get to it, shall we?
|You may remember him as "the only person on the original Death Star that took the Rebels seriously."|
|This is how Imperials feel when Ackbar uses his add effect on an HMC80 broadside in step 3.|
"Speaking of point bids, this might be a better question for a future mailbag post, but... how much is too much??"
That's a fine question and a subject on which even experienced players can differ. I'll do my best to give my take on bids and what I would recommend:
|All in on black! I've got Ordnance Experts if it comes up blank! What do you mean "you're not making any sense"?|
Ackbarticle RE-UPDATED. I added in the Salvo interaction and that whole deal. Short answer: probably don't try to make a super-salvo Ackbar build?
H80 updated; Reactive Gunnery exists now! I also had to kill some of the "Bail is good on here ya know" advice.
|And that's Carrie Fisher's daughter on the right there|
Wednesday, December 16, 2020
|The U-Haul of the Empire, now with mom's attic for extra overhead storage space!|