Saturday, July 22, 2017

Store Championships II: Leia Boogaloo!

So it's another Store Champs today, and I decided that it was time to start my newest quest/obsession: making Leia a Thing! See, it's in caps so it's totally real.
No lie, Empire Leia might be my favorite Leia. What can I say, competence is attractive!

So the list I'm running today is THIS:
Points: 400/400

Commander: Leia Organa
Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Fleet Ambush
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

Nebulon-B Support Refit (51 points)
Salvation  ( 7  points)
-  Intel Officer  ( 7  points)
-  Quad Battery Turrets  ( 5  points)
= 70 total ship cost

GR-75 Medium Transports (18 points)
Quantum Storm  ( 1  points)
-  Slicer Tools  ( 7  points)
= 26 total ship cost

Hammerhead Torpedo Corvette (36 points)
Task Force Organa  ( 1  points)
-  External Racks  ( 3  points)
= 40 total ship cost

Hammerhead Torpedo Corvette (36 points)
Task Force Organa  ( 1  points)
-  External Racks  ( 3  points)
= 40 total ship cost

Hammerhead Torpedo Corvette (36 points)
Task Force Organa  ( 1  points)
-  Boarding Troopers  ( 3  points)
-  External Racks  ( 3  points)
= 43 total ship cost

[ flagship ] CR90 Corvette A (44 points)
-  Leia Organa  ( 38  points)
Jainas Light  ( 2  points)
-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points)
= 91 total ship cost

GR-75 Medium Transports (18 points)
= 18 total ship cost

1 Shara Bey ( 17 points)
5 A-Wing Squadrons ( 55 points)

So the goal of this (besides having 7 activations) is to try to leverage Leia's ability by dogpiling on whatever I need to dogpile on.  I have a LOT of Leia thoughts, and I'll write up some stories of it afterwards, but I don't want to give my thoughts on Leia too soon until I've played more games with her (today's games will be the 3rd, 4th, and potentially 5th (assuming 3 rounds) with Leia), so I don't want to pretend like I know what I'm doing here yet.

What I'm expecting to face today: all the Avenger Boarding Troopers and several fleets with decent bids.  I haven't played much at Pastimes (where we're playing today) mainly because it's a decent drive away from my apartment (like an hour plus?) but my memories of them involve fleets with 9 plus point bids on average if not more (the guy who won Milwaukee Regionals, Jerry, usually runs with a 15 point bid IIRC) and (Wave 5 and earlier) usually very few squadrons.  I have NO idea what Sloane has done to Pastimes and what I'll be facing.  Who knows, maybe here comes 134 points of Imp squads, a Quasar, and Demo or something? Heck if i know.
While I enjoy "Here They Come", in my opinion "The Asteroid Field" is a superior song (1:18, second link).

Why'd I bring this list?
6 A-wings because I need a squadron presence and I need them to potentially handle whatever I get thrown at me from Sloane and a Quasar and blah blah blah.  Worst case I swing on a ship Wave 1 style and roll a black non-bomber dice. Potentially 6 damage is nothing to sneeze at, and it certainly helps wipe a Star Destroyer's shields. Everything else is helped by Leia's ability (more on that eventually....) and nothing is really crazy screwed over by Avenger Boarding Troopers (if it gets in a Star Destroyer's front arc, it's gonna die anyway, boarding troops or no boarding troops).

But mainly because I wanted to play with Leia.  She seems fun and I have many crazy ideas for working with her.  Given that I got second last time and got everything but the trophy, my goal for today is finish top 8.  I wants me another set of them fancy pants Evade tokens (as a man who runs multiple MC30s, flotillas, CR90s, and such like that (3 hammerheads, say!) I need more fancy evades. Needs them).  Do I want to win it all and get a goofy trophy that I can show off? Yes.  Am I going in with a mostly untested list that I'm playing to enjoy myself and start to learn the intricacies of Leia before the next Regionals season ever drops? More actual yes.
"I hope you know what you’re doing."

I don't want to give away my strategy for how I'm planning on playing this all, but I will say this HAS been helping my Checklist articles (yes, I'm aware that I haven't written anything for it recently.  Work, sorry! It's hopefully in progress for Sunday sometime! When I'm not doing a writeup from this store championship, of course.)  So, Sunday should have a mess of updates on things... when I'm not running 14 miles, of course (yay marathon training!)

No comments:

Post a Comment